Tuesday, April 03, 2007

I'm too tired for all this excitement

It sounded like a cruel April Fools prank apart from the fact that it was published on April 2nd: On major news sites, I read that EMI will ditch the horrible copyprotection in music downloads they offer. Will that lead to other companies being pressured in doing so as well? I certainly hope so.

See, I am all for buying my music. Despite thinking that what I pay for a single song here is still overpriced, I will still pay. Major issues for me when it comes to musicdownloads are two things:

No complicated downloading/payment process
(hello, major international download portals; although it might be common in the US, credit cards are not ruling the market where I live (yet) .... So adapt to other markets by offering alternative ways to pay)

The possibility for me to play the music I purchased on whatever device I prefer ... maybe even on two, three or four different ones.
I hate having my choices limited to just one player and not being able to listen to legally purchased songs on a non-DRM player. Attempting to circumvent the copy-protection if only in order to use said player makes me a criminal. This whole strategy is counteracting the way our entertainment technology is developing. While the variety of devices to play media broadens every day, the media itself limits us again. Those who can afford it pay over and over for the same content. Those who cannot afford it .... well ....

In any way, I believe it when I see it, but I find this move by EMI exciting. Even though it's going to cost even more to download a song and even though Apple has its fingers in there once again (I somehow don't trust them anymore).... Looking forward to watching those developments. And I'm rambling again. Time to go to bed.

No comments: